A Crystal Message about the Healing Properties of Black Obsidian: “Consciously tap into your divine wisdom and knowledge and embrace your intuition and inner knowing.”
Common Healing Properties of Black Obsidian:
- Promotes energetic protection
- Reveals the truth in any situation
- Exposes areas of yourself that need growth and development
- Facilitates past life ascension and regression
- Blocks negative energies from entering your auric field
- Enhances grounding
- Shields you from electromagnetic pollution
- Banishes negative energy
- Brings peace and calming
- Encourages living in a virtuous manner
- Increases courage
- Encourages personal growth
- Facilitates compassion
- Reduces energetic causes of arthritis pain
- Assists with energetic detoxification of the physical body
- Assists you in maintaining proper circulation
- Enhances accuracy in scrying divination
- Balances the energy of the mind, body, and spirit
- Aids in acceptance of your weaknesses so that you can begin to heal and correct them
- Helps you to address issues of control and power struggles
- Enhances the experience of shamanic ceremonies and rituals
- Removes negative thought patterns and conditioning
Associated Chakras: 1st (Root)
Zodiac Signs: Capricorn, Scorpio
Elements: Earth, Fire
Companion Flowers: Fireweed
Companion Essential Oil: Camphor
Companion Stone: Howlite
Common Origins: Mexico
Notes: A natural volcanic glass.
Wanna’ Get Science-y? Click Here to get information about the chemical composition, hardness, streak, etc. of this crystal from one of my favorite sites!
The staff at my new age shop, Mimosa Books & Gifts, had this to share:
Obsidian is the most abundant form of naturally occurring glass, the result of volcanic lava cooling quickly. Technically obsidian may have any composition, but usually, it’s a glass with inclusions of hematite and rhyolite.
Because it’s easy to chip and forms a sharp point, it has been an invaluable material for toolmaking throughout history, thus contributing to the evolution of the human race’s evolution. Many cultures also used it to make mirrors and figurines. In fact, one way that archaeologists can trace the development of trade is by testing the composition of obsidian objects found along trade routes to find out where it originated, and thus how far it had traveled. More recently, obsidian lore has made its way into popular culture as “dragon glass” in Game of Thrones, or as a “witch’s blade.”
Black Obsidian Safety and Care:
Obsidian breaks easily and forms sharp edges, so be careful you don’t get cut, and keep this in mind if children will handle it. When buying obsidian, be careful of sellers promoting obsidian in various bright colors; this material is usually fake.
Learn to use crystals with POWERFUL Crystal Affirmations!