How to Perform a Crystal Ball Reading Step-by-Step
Humans have been practicing the art of crystallomancy (a form of scrying divination using a crystal ball) also know as crystal ball reading, for hundreds – if not thousands of years.
One of the most famous crystallomancers was John Dee, advisor to Queen Elizabeth I. Dee practiced his art in the 16th century, but is still known today for his wise counsel. His crystal ball and other divination tools, like his Obsidian scrying mirror, can be seen on display at the British Museum.
Gazing into a crystal ball takes patience and practice. You may need to form a relationship with your crystal ball before any meaningful images appear. You should always treat the crystal ball with respect as it is a powerful divinatory tool.
It is best to use the crystal ball only after you have cleansed yourself and your space. If you are not serious about the reading, or if you are in a negative state of mind, you should wait until a later time to attempt a reading, as you will likely not receive accurate information when your energy field is clouded or when you’re ungrounded.
How to Perform a Crystal Ball Reading (Step-by-Step):
- Cleanse yourself, your sacred space, and your crystal ball. If you need more information, check out this article about how to cleanse your crystals.
- Sit within your sacred space and formulate an open-ended question about which you require guidance or information. It may be helpful to write this question in your crystal journal so you know exactly what was asked when you go back to reference the reading in step #8.
- Dim the lights and place a small source of light, like a candle or Himalayan salt lamp, off to one side where it will not interrupt your field of vision.
- Gaze at the ball and allow your eyes to go in and out of focus.
- Allow your mind to absorb any images or symbols that appear within the crystal ball.
- When you feel you have received the information you needed, cleanse your crystal ball once again.
- Take a moment to write in your crystal journal about the images or symbols that appeared within your crystal ball.
- The day after your reading, return to your journal and attempt to interpret the meanings of the images and symbols that were presented to you. If you’re having trouble interpreting the meanings of these symbols, reach for an Amethyst or Ametrine stone to help activate your intuition so that you can understand the hidden meanings within each image and how it relates back to your question.
Most commonly, you will observe symbolic images within your crystal sphere, although as you become more advanced, the images may become more literal. Symbolic visions should always be interpreted according to your current life situation.
Remember, this is an art – it takes patience and practice. If you don’t see anything within your crystal ball on the first few tries, don’t get discouraged. It’s best to limit yourself to no more than one reading per week, but be sure to check in at least once every few months to maintain a connection to your crystal ball.
8 responses to “How to Perform a Crystal Ball Reading Step-by-Step”
Would we use a similar technique for scrying?
Hi Ashley…I find in addition to your advice that performing Chakra cleansing/balancing on yourself before working your Crystal Ball makes all the difference, If your seeker seems troubled or stressed perform Chakra on them as well…never had anyone object so far.
Richard (Astrorick UK)
Hi – what size crystal ball would you recommend? I can get hold of a 100mm one – Is that going to be big enough?
It is so cool when you see images of things so clearly in crystal ball.
[…] Crystal balls, traditionally made of Quartz crystal, are referenced many times throughout the book series as they’re frequently used in Sybill Trelawney’s divination classes. They’re introduced to third-year students, and although embraced by some students like Lavender Brown, their use is widely ridiculed by most others (including Harry, Ron, and Hermione). For the non-believers, they never got much past the stage of seeing white swirls or fog. Professor Trelawney explains that a seer’s success with the crystal ball as a divinatory tool depends upon their ability to “[quiet] the conscious mind and external eyes” and depend upon “the Inner Eye and superconscious.” Love & Light’s resident divination expert, Lauren Gandharva, agrees wholeheartedly with this explanation of crystallomancy. […]
[…] Enhances accuracy in scrying divination […]
all i ever see are star speks
That’s very interesting! I had a similar experience when I started. Everyone learns & experiences this type of divination in their own way at their own time. It’s fun to see how it develops! It isn’t for everyone, but it is still fascinating to learn about. 🙂