Depression is something that affects most people at one time or another in their lives. Whether it is short term or chronic, it can be one of the most difficult things a person can face in their life.
UPDATE: This article previously used the terms “mojo bag” and “medicine bag” to describe a charm bag or pouch filled with meaningful items. Using these terms is culturally appropriative (as these terms are rooted in African and Indigenous spiritual practices, respectively) in the context they were previously used, especially shared by the author here (who is white). This article has been updated to reflect this change.
Healing crystals can be used to help support you emotionally while you work through your depression. They can act as a companion and tool for shifting from a heavy heart to a happy one.
You can use your stones in a simple (and more passive) way by carrying them with you or wearing them as jewelry.
One of the most effective methods of using stones in this manner is to create a crystal charm pouch. You can create your charm bag for the purpose of helping you to cope with your depression and shift your emotions to be healthier and more positive. See the list of stones at the end of this article for some suggestions to help you choose what to add to your pouch. Click here to learn more about creating and using your own crystal charm bag.
You can also use your crystals in a more active way by engaging with them through meditation, using them in crystals layouts, or creating crystal grids.
Meditating with your chosen crystal (or crystals) can be done in a variety of ways. Perhaps you want to take just 5 minutes to sit quietly with your stone and tune into its energy. Alternatively, you may want to try a longer guided meditation with your stones. Listening to your intuition and inner guidance about what will best support you is important. However, it is also recommended that you check in with your physician or therapist about which meditation methods might be best suited to your specific needs.
Using crystals in layouts can be as simple as placing your chosen stone over a corresponding chakra. For example, if you wanted to promote healthy emotional balance, you might try placing the stone over your Sacral Chakra. To help enhance positivity, your crystal could be held over your Solar Plexus Chakra. Or to provide comfort and support, you could place your stone over your Heart Chakra. You could also allow your intuition to guide you in placing a larger crystal layout on and around your entire physical body. For a larger layout, you might try using a variety of stones. The list below makes a great guide as to which crystals you may want to incorporate into your layout.
Another technique that you may want to explore is the use of crystal grids. Crystal grids consist of healing stones placed in concise geometric arrangements in order to affect the flow of energy for a specific purpose. The properties of the stones used, combined with their placement creates a unique energy frequency that can be used t enhance your intention. By combining crystals with sacred geometry, the language of the universe, you can directly communicate with Universal Source. In this way, your message gets through in a way that is “crystal clear,” aiding in manifesting, healing, and more. See below for step-by-step instructions for creating and using a crystal grid.
Crystals to Help You Cope with Depression:
- Orange Calcite
- Yellow Fluorite
- Lapis Lazuli
- Fire Opal
- Lithium Quartz
- Rainbow Quartz
- Golden Rutilated Quartz
- Silver Rutilated Quartz
- Blue Tiger’s Eye
- Golden Tiger’s Eye
- Red Tiger’s Eye
Crystals for a Positive Outlook & Thinking:
- Green Calcite
- Rainbow Calcite
- Fancy Jasper
- Orbicular Jasper (also called Ocean Jasper)
- Black Merlinite (also called Psilomelane)
- Boulder Opal
- Rainbow Aura Quartz (also called Flame Aura Quartz or Titanium Aura Quartz)
Stones for Happiness & Joy:
- Golden Barite
- Bornite (also known as Peacock Ore or as Peacock Rock)
- Blue Calcite
- Golden Calcite
- Honey Calcite
- Mariposa Calcite
- Rainbow Calcite
- Rootbeer Calcite
- Yellow Fluorite
- Pyrite (Sun Formation)
- Amethyst Aura Quartz (also known as Lavender Aura Quartz)
- Melon Aura Quartz (also known as Tangerine Aura Quartz, Imperial Gold Aura Quartz, Dreamcicle Aura Quartz, or as Orange Mist Aura Quartz)
- Pecos Diamond Quartz
- Rainbow Quartz
- Sunshine Aura Quartz
- Lemon Topaz
Stones to Enhance Optimism & Hope:
- Pink Botswana Agate
- Blue Celestite
- Iolite (also known as Water Sapphire or as Cordierite)
- Boulder Opal
- Rainbow Quartz
How to Create a Crystal Grid (Step-by-Step):
- Create a purpose or intention for your grid. It’s important to frame your intention for a grid in a positive way. For example, instead of an intention to “Remove Depression” you should frame your intention to be something like “to enhance happiness and positivity” or “to create emotional balance.” Be as clear and concise as possible when creating the intention for your crystal grid. It may be helpful to write this message out on a small piece of paper to later be placed in the center of your grid.
- Select the stones you will use to create your grid (you may choose from the list of suggested stones below, or you may choose your stones intuitively).
- Cleanse yourself, your space, and your crystals of all negative or unwanted energy (i.e. any energy that is not for your highest good). For more information about cleansing crystals, Click Here to learn about 10 quick and simple ways you can cleanse your stones.
- Ground and center yourself.
- Place each stone (with intention) into a geometric arrangement (or into an intuitive shape or array). make sure to follow the lines of the geometry of the shape. Proper alignment is necessary for proper energy flow.
- You may place your written intention beneath the stone at the very center of your crystal grid (optional). If you do not have a stone in the center of your grid, you may place your written intention in the center area, or somewhere near your grid.
- Activate your crystal grid (use one of the two methods described below).
- Devote time each day to connect to the energy and intention of your grid. You may choose to do this by meditating (within your grid if it is large or while gazing at it if it is small), by drawing energy into your body from the grid (by standing within it if it is large or by placing your hands over it if it is small), by sending energy to your grid (via conscious intention), etc. This will make your grid a place of personal power or healing. Or, it will help to amplify the energy of your grid (via your conscious use of the grid).
Activating Your Crystal Grid:
- To activate and enhance the energy of the grid, you may use a clear Quartz crystal laser wand to link all crystals within the grid. When using a laser wand in this way, it becomes a Master crystal and is connected to the energy of the grid and to all stones within the grid. Activation is most effective if you visualize each of these connections as lines of white light, linking the energy of each individual stone into one cohesive unit.
- Point your wand over the center stone (or toward the center of the grid if no stone exists in the center). Alternatively, you may choose to touch each crystal with the termination of the Quartz laser wand rather than hover the wand over the crystals.
- Set your intention to channel universal love energy through your wand for activation.
- Moving from the center, “draw” a line to a stone on the outside of the grid.
- Moving clockwise, “draw” a line to the next stone on the outside of the grid and then back to the central stone.
- Move back up this same line to the stone you just came from, then clockwise to the next outside stone, and then back again to the center.
- Continue in this fashion until you have connected all stones and arrive back in the center of the grid.
- Finally, point the termination of your laser wand toward the center of the grid to infuse it with universal energy so that it may carry out its purpose (it is suggested that you hold your intention in your mind while infusing the grid with energy).
An alternative method of grid activation is to “draw” three clockwise circles, with your wand, around the grid (if your intent is to add energy to the situation) or three counter- clockwise circles around the grid (if your intent is to remove energy from the situation).
If your grid is disturbed and crystals are moved out of alignment, the grid will need to be re-activated. Additionally, if you add stones to the grid or take stones away, the grid will need to be re-activated.