Have you ever wondered where birthstones originated? Are birthstones and zodiac stones the same thing? Who decided which stone should be attributed to a certain month? While birthstones and zodiac stones have some similarities and crossovers, the truth is that zodiac stones have been around for ages – and birthstones came about long after. Here you will find the mystery behind these burning questions finally revealed!
People have been wearing and using Zodiac stones and birthstones for thousands of years. In modern day, we often use these terms interchangeably, but they actually have very different origins and meanings.
Birthstones are gemstones (both precious and semi-precious) that are assigned to a specific month. Our modern list of birthstones was created by the National Association of Jewelers (USA) in 1912. As you can imagine, this was mostly in an effort into motivate consumers to purchase expensive gemstones. Many of the gemstones chosen had traditional associations with the planets and the Zodiac.
However, birthstones, which go by the month rather than by the dates of the Zodiac, can be mis-leading. For example, if you were born in November, then your birthstone would be a Golden Topaz or a Citrine crystal. However, if you were born November 1st-22nd, then you are a Scorpio, but if you were born November 23rd-30th, the you are a Sagittarius. Scorpio and Sagittarius each have ancient connections with planets and gemstones that far pre-date the modern assignment of the stones to the months of the year. Additionally, the gemstones chosen for birthstones by the National Association of jewelers were among the most expensive of the stones traditionally associated with each. It certainly seems to me that this modern list is not as accurate in matching a stone’s energy to the wearer as the ancient associations are.
Since Zodiac stones have a correspondence to the planet that rules over that zodiac sign, I recommend choosing a Zodiac crystal rather than a modern birthstone. Wearing or using crystals for their Astrological/Zodiac correspondences can be done to enhance the positive attributes of your sign or to balance its negative aspects. You can also carry or wear crystals to enhance or balance the energies of the current astrological cycle.
Crystal/Astrological Zodiac Correspondences:
- Capricorn (Dec. 22nd – Jan. 20th) – Red Garnet, Amber, Black Onyx, Emerald, Peridot, Amethyst, Ruby
- Aquarius (Jan. 21st – Feb. 19th) – Amethyst, Rainbow Fluorite, Bloodstone, Pumice, Mica, Turquoise
- Pisces (Feb. 20th – March 20th) – Blue Lace Agate, Blue Kyanite, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Blue Tourmaline
- Aries (March 21st – April 19th) – Diamond, Pyrite, Smoky Quartz, Red Jasper, Clear Quartz, Carnelian
- Taurus (April 20th – May 20th) – Emerald, Rhodonite, Rose Quartz, Peridot, Carnelian, Pink Tourmaline
- Gemini (May 21st – June 21st) – Citrine, Moonstone, Moss Agate, Pumice, Mica, Golden Tiger’s Eye
- Cancer (June 22nd – July 23rd) – Ruby, Red Japer, Sunstone, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue Tourmaline
- Leo (July 24th – August 23rd) – Peridot, Carnelian, Golden Tiger’s Eye, Red Jasper, Clear Quartz, Garnet
- Virgo (August 24th – Sept. 22nd) – Blue Sapphire, Galena, Magnetite, Emerald, Peridot, Citrine, Carnelian
- Libra (Sept. 23rd – Oct. 22nd) – White Precious Opal, Black Obsidian, Wulfenite, Pumice, Mica, Aquamarine
- Scorpio (Oct. 23rd – Nov. 22nd) – Yellow Topaz, Chrysoprase, Malachite, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Moonstone
- Sagittarius (Nov. 23rd – Dec. 21st) – Turquoise, Jet, Labradorite, Red Jasper, Clear Quartz, Sodalite